Friday, December 02, 2011

Snag Stand

A list of some of my food vices: 
  • poison pork rolls
  • hamburgers
  • fried chicken
  • moist cupcakes with icing
  • (good) macarons
  • jamon
  • anything custard-like (e.g dan tart, creme brulee, pannacotta, snot blocks etc)
  • hot dogs  
It's a surprise I'm not very fat.  I stick to the 'in moderation' principle as much as I can, even though that's very hard to believe if you read the food related postings on this blog.  Anyway so it was a blessing in disguise that DOP Pasta's portions were not excessive.  That meant there was room for another item on our To Eat Hitlist - Snag  Stand.
With a name like that, how could I not buy a hot dog!?!

I first saw Snag Stand in the newly built Westfield Sydney a few months ago.  I didn't managed to sample any of the 'haute dogs' - as they like to call them - but I had been told they were good-diddily-ood. 

After spending about five minutes deliberating, Spu and I settled on the following two dawgs.
Spicy cheese kransky with semi dried tomatoes, sriracha chilli mayo, cheddar cheese on a toasted brioche roll ($8.90).  Greek (lamb, rosemary and oregano sausage) with fresh tomato, onion and olive salsa, feta and tzatziki served on a toasted poppy seed roll. ($9.90).  

When reviewing the menu for this blog, I noticed that while the menu in Melbourne and Sydney were identical, some of the hot dogs were $1 more expensive in Sydney.  How do they justify that?  Higher rental at Westfield?  
The spicy cheese kranksy oozed cheese from within and it definitely had a chilli kick.  Not too hot for me but maybe for some folk who can't tolerate chilli.

These hot dogs were definitely good.  Some might not be able to approve of the $7-10 price tag, but hmmm yes, I would happily pay for this again.  I mean, if I ate two, I would be completely stuffed for $14-20.  The brioche hot dog bun was enough for me to want more.  So light, so fluffy, so yellow!  I know that certain Europeans (ohai moo) would have a fit at paying such a price for these hot dogs but Snag Stand do have a fairly extensive menu and offer some alternative toppings that one wouldn't normally get from a hot dog stand in Germany/Austria/other hot dog stand nations.

Snag Stand's location on the corner of a busy intersection means that it is poorly equipped for those wanting to sit down and eat their dawgs.  A few stools are supplied by why sit there when you can just take the escalator upstairs and enjoy the Melbourne Central dining hall/food court?  That's exactly what Spu and I did.

Then that gave me the opportunity to buy dessert from Cupcake Central.  
Choc-mint cupcake and a boysenberry cupcake.  Yum. 

So yep, Snag Stand.  I'll be eating some more hot dogs from them in due course.  

2 comments:

mallymoodle said...

I wouldn't have a fit at paying $7-10 for a snag in Melbs - unfortunately, I know that's the going rate.

Now I realise how much we were/are totally getting ripped off there :(

Unknown said...

I want to go to snag stand it looks yummy!!!!